Texas breezes past weekend competition

They came, they saw, they conquered. And then they did it again.

The Longhorns emerged from this weekend’s tennis with two wins, pushing their Big 12 record to 4-0. They blanked Kansas 7-0 then cruised to a 5-2 win over Kansas State.

Against the Jayhawks, Texas made it look easy by starting the day with two of three doubles victories. Krista Damico and Cierra Gaytan-Leach earned an easy 8-2 decision while Elizabeth Begley and Juliana Gajic eked out an 8-6 win.

After taking the doubles point, the women swept all six singles matches, winning every match in straight sets.

“It was great to get a shutout, our first of the season,” head coach Patty Fendick-McCain said. “The girls really stepped up and played well.”

In their second match of the weekend, the team started off strong by taking the doubles point off of the Wildcats. The Longhorns won two of the three doubles matches.

In solo competition the women proved they were no fluke as they took four of the six from Kansas State.

Damico pushed her consecutive wins streak to 12 against Kansas but saw her amazing stretch end against the Wildcats. Freshmen Noel Scott and Lina Padegimaite continued to play key backup roles, pushing their season wins marks to 15 and 10 respectively.

Begley has been quietly making waves this season, pushing her record to 10-1 on the year with wins against Kansas and Kansas State. After suffering a fracture to her foot last season, a season with only one loss to this point adds to the lore of the team’s defining resiliency.

“I think all of her hard work has been paying off, but tennis is one those things that everyday you have to go out and prove yourself,” Fendick-McCain said. “I think she is one of those unique characters who understands that really well and isn’t trying to hold the lead or hold on to her success. She keeps moving forward everyday and stays in the moment.”

The No. 10 team in the country is back on a roll and will use the next two weeks to prepare for more Big 12 action.