Divers top competition in first two days of Olympic Trials

Diving trials started Sunday for membership on the U.S. Olympic team that will travel to London for the 2012 Olympic Games. Junior Maren Taylor, senior Drew Livingston and former Longhorn Troy Dumais competed in the first round of the trials in Federal Way, Washington.

Taylor, who had been inactive for the past year due to a dislocated elbow, made finals in the synchronized 3-meter springboard event Sunday afternoon. Taylor and her diving partner, future Longhorn Meghan Houston, posted a sixth place finish in prelims. They followed up with an eighth place finish in the semifinals, just enough to earn them a finals berth. They will compete in the finals on Thursday.

Taylor will also compete individually in the 3-meter springboard event today.

On Monday, both Livingston and Dumais also competed in the synchronized 3-meter springboard event. Livingston, who competed with former Olympian Chris Colwill, finished first in prelims with Dumais and his partner, Kristian Ipsen from Stanford, finishing second. Dumais and Ipsen then had a successful semifinal and will go into Saturday’s final round in first place, slightly edging Livingston and Colwill who are in second.

Dumais is joined at the Olympic Trials by older brothers Justin and Dwight Dumais. Both Justin and Dwight are former Olympians in the synchronized 3-meter event and are entering the Saturday’s final round in fourth place.

Livingston, along with all three of the Dumais brothers, will compete individually in the 3-meter springboard event on Wednesday.