Texas looks to continue dominance over Baylor in conference match

2012_09_24_volleyball_OU_Andrew
Andrew Torrey

Bailey Webster and the rest of the No. 9 Longhorns head to Baylor to take on the Bears today.

After almost a month at home, the No. 9 Longhorns head out for a string of Big 12 conference games on the road. Their matches begin Tuesday night at 7 p.m. against Baylor at the Ferrell Center in Waco. The game will be televised on ESPNU.

Baylor is 13-3 overall with a 0-1 conference record. The Bears lost their conference opener this weekend at Iowa State, 3-1. They are tied for fourth in the Big 12 with Kansas State and Texas Tech. Baylor is undefeated at home this season with its three losses happening on the road.

The Longhorns are first in the Big 12 with two wins after their 3-0 sweep of Oklahoma last Saturday. Texas is 9-3 on the season and 2-0 in Big 12 conference play. Starting with a 3-0 sweep of West Virginia on the road a month ago, the Longhorns have swept all of their Big 12 opponents thus far.

Last season, the Longhorns went 2-0 against the Bears. Last October, the Longhorns went on the road and beat the Bears 3-1 in Waco. A month later in November, Texas swept Baylor 3-0. The Longhorns lead the all-time series against Baylor, 69-2. The Longhorns are currently sporting a 19-match win streak against the Bears. Texas head coach Jerritt Elliott is 21-1 against Baylor.

Senior right side hitter Alyssa Dibbern leads Baylor into Tuesday’s match. Dibbern is ranked ninth in the Big 12 in kills, averaging three per set. Against Tulane in August, she turned in a career-high 19 kills in the Bears’ victory.

Sophomore All-American outside hitter Haley Eckerman was named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for her performance in the Longhorns’ 3-0 sweep of Oklahoma last Saturday. Eckerman hit .345 and registered 14 kills and two service aces in the win.

Currently, Eckerman is first in the Big 12 for kills with 4.50 per game and points with 5.29 per game. She also ranks second in the league for service aces per game. This is the third time that Eckerman has been named Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week and her eighth overall conference recognition.