Horns drop series to West Virginia

Game One: Starter Parker French set a career high with seven strikeouts and allowed just one run in more than seven innings. The Texas offense was unable to provide any run support, though, as Harrison Musgrave pitched a complete-game shutout while striking out nine to lead West Virginia to a 1-0 victory. 

Game Two: The Longhorns put together back-to-back five-run innings in the fourth and fifth en route to a 12-0 victory. Jacob Felts and Ty Marlow each recorded four RBIs, and left-hander Dillon Peters struck out six in eight scoreless innings to pick up his fourth win.

Game Three: Closer Corey Knebel pitched three scoreless innings before allowing three runs in the 10th to West Virginia in Texas’ 6-3 extra-innings loss. The Longhorns recorded just four hits in the game, with only two coming after the fifth inning. 

By The Numbers
5: Consecutive batters to reach base against Knebel in a three-run 10th inning Sunday
9: Number of batters starter Nathan Thornhill retired to begin Sunday’s game
4: Combined runs allowed by Texas starting pitchers in 21 1/3 innings in three games against West Virginia
1: Number of triples needed by Mark Payton to break into Texas’ all-time career top ten for triples. After his triple in Sunday’s game, the junior stands at 12 during his three seasons at Texas. 

Stock Up: 
Jacob Felts drove in a career-high four runs Saturday, with three of them coming on his first home run since 2011. The catcher added a double on Sunday and has reached base in four of his last six plate appearances.

Stock Down:  
Weston Hall struck out three times and grounded into a double play Sunday after an 0-for-5 effort on Saturday. Hall is hitless in his last nine at-bats and has just two hits in his last 16 at-bats.
The Longhorns take on Houston at 6 p.m. at UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Tuesday night. Texas dropped the first match-up against the Cougars this season, 4-3, on March 19 in Houston.