Longhorns in the NFL: Week 10 roundup

There were several former Texas Longhorn players who took part in the NFL action last week, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Here’s how they did.

Brian Orakpo (Washington Redskins linebacker)

Orakpo recorded three tackles, two for a loss, along with a sack and two quarterback hits. In desperate need of a win to keep pace in the NFC East, the Redskins held a 24-14 halftime lead in Minnesota against the Vikings. But they went on to lose the game 34-27, falling to 3-6 in the season.

Lamaar Houston (Oakland Raiders defensive end)

Houston played a good game for the upset-minded Raiders. His six tackles — one for a loss — and one quarterback hit had the Raiders trailing the New York Giants at MetLife 21-20 going into the fourth quarter. As usual, Giants quarterback Eli Manning made a few clutch throws in the final frame to help the Giants to a 24-20 win.

Michael Griffin (Tennessee Titans safety)

Griffin’s six tackles weren’t good enough for the Titans to avoid the embarrassment of being the Jacksonville Jaguars’ first win of the year. Despite two interceptions by Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne, the Jags pulled this game out in Tennessee 29-27. Ouch.

Aaron Williams (Buffalo Bills safety/cornerback)

Williams tallied five tackles — one for a loss — and a pass deflection against Ben Roethlisberger’s Steelers in Pittsburgh. He and the Bills defense made things tough for the Steelers, as they only gained 300 total yards. Still, Pittsburgh won at home 23-10, handing the Bills a season-ending loss.

Kenny Vaccaro (New Orleans Saints safety)

Vaccaro’s three tackles and a pass breakup led to one of Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo’s toughest career days. The Dallas passing game was totally shut down, producing a pathetic 104 yards. That, combined with the Saints 625 total yards, led to New Orleans steamrolling the Cowboys at the Superdome 49-17.