Longhorns roundup

Texas ranked 18th in Baseball America preseason top 25

Although the Longhorns have struggled in the past couple of years, Baseball America doesn’t believe it will remain that way. Baseball ranked the Longhorns at No. 18 in its first preseason poll. Baseball America also tabbed the Longhorns as the No. 2 recruiting class for 2013 in the nation.

Virginia topped the poll, while the SEC led with eight teams in the top 25. Texas sits atop the Big 12, with TCU just behind it at No. 19 and Kansas State at No. 22. 

The Longhorns return their entire weekend rotation from last season’s team that led the Big 12 in ERA.

Men’s basketball makes AP Top 25 debut

Texas men’s basketball is ranked No. 25 in this week’s AP Top 25 poll, which was released Monday afternoon.

The Longhorns, who are ranked for the first time this season, are currently on a five-game win streak, with their last three wins coming against teams ranked in the top 25. This is the first time Texas has been ranked in an AP poll since the final AP poll of the 2010-11 season, in which it was ranked No. 8.

Texas hosts Kansas on Saturday at 3 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center.

Cameron Ridley wins Big 12 player of the week award

Monday afternoon, the Big 12 Conference selected sophomore center Cameron Ridley as the Phillips 66 Big 12 Conference Player of the Week. 

Ridley averaged a double-double in the Longhorns’ two wins against Kansas State and Baylor this past week. He tallied 18 points and six rebounds against the Wildcats before finishing the week with 8 points and a career-high 14 rebounds against the Bears. Ridley is also ranked third in the Big 12 in blocked shots (48). 

Texas schedules the Orange-White game

Charlie Strong now has a set date for when he will make his first appearance as the Longhorns’ head coach. The annual Orange-White game has been scheduled for Saturday, April 19 at 1 p.m. The game will be aired only on the Longhorn Network. 

Strong also announced that spring practice is tentatively set to begin on March 18. 

Additional reporting by Stefan Scrafield