Women’s track and field takes home first Big 12 title in eight years

No. 5 Texas grabbed six individual titles in Ames, Iowa, this weekend en route to winning the Big 12 women’s indoor track and field championship, its first since 2006. Redshirt junior pole vaulter Kaitlin Petrillose highlighted the outing as she became the first Big 12 women’s pole vaulter to claim three straight titles.

“We were happy with the individual conference champions we had but also about people reaching the top eight and scoring,” head coach Mario Sategna said.

Junior Ashley Spencer and sophomore Courtney Okolo finished in the top two in the 400 meter. Spencer’s time clocked in as second best in the nation, while Okolo’s was the nation’s third fastest this year.

Senior middle distance runner Marielle Hall helped secure the title with two wins of her own. Earning 920 points, more than any woman in the meet, Hall topped the 3,000 meter with a personal-best 9:15.57 and ran the mile in 4:41.78, good for third in school history.

“It was great to see Marielle step up,” Sategna said. “We saw that all fall during the cross country season when she led the charge on the women’s side. I couldn’t be more proud because I know there are even better things to come during the outdoor season.”

Senior jumper Shanay Briscoe rounded off the women’s 18th league title with a second-place 4,043-point pentathlon finish. Briscoe repeated as indoor high jump champion, an honor only three woman — all Longhorns — have received.

The Longhorns will compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships on March 14 and 15 in Albuquerque, N.M.