Texans’ secondary trying to improve

HOUSTON — Houston Texans defensive backs coach Vance Joseph offers words of encouragement after almost every practice snap, even if one of his players is beaten on a route.

Joseph may have the biggest challenge of any position coach on the staff — fixing a secondary that ranked as the league’s worst in 2010.

“You’ve got to stay positive, because it’s a hard assignment and bad things happen, even when you’re playing good,” Joseph said Sunday. “Somebody’s got to be there supporting them, and it’s got to be me, as their coach.

“This is a young group, they want to do well, they want to be great,” he said, “so there’s no reason not to be positive.”

The Texans allowed 267.5 yards passing per game and 33 touchdown passes last season. They drafted cornerbacks Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael , then picked up free agents Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning to bring experience that the group lacked in 2010.

“They’ve been around good secondaries, they know how it should look,” Vance Joseph said. “They can push these guys, show them how to practice, show them how to prepare, how to think through it.

“We’ve also got two guys who are in the primes of their careers,” he said. “That’s strange. Teams drafted these guys pretty high, and now we get them at only the second stage of their careers? All the bad things, the bad habits are behind them. All their good football is still ahead.”

One of Johnathan Joseph’s first directives when he arrived was talking to cornerback Kareem Jackson, last year’s first-round pick who often took the sharpest criticism for the secondary’s problems.

Joseph, a first-round pick by Cincinnati in 2006, reassured Jackson that just about every NFL rookie struggles and that cornerback is one of the hardest positions for a young player to learn. Joseph did not intercept a pass in his first season, but has 14 picks in his four seasons since.

“We’ve all had those same growing pains,” Johnathan Joseph said. “I’m sure, from talking to him [Jackson], that it’s behind him. He comes out here every day confident, and it doesn’t bother him at all. In this league, you have to have a short memory, which he understands.”

Jackson doesn’t want to forget 2010 entirely. If anything, he says remembering the backlash from fans and media provides perfect motivation.

“For having a year like that last year, no one wants to go through that,” Jackson said, “so everybody is committed to what we’re doing. So we’re just coming out and working hard every day just trying to get it done.”