Players to Watch: Lewis, Whaley, Broyles, Jones

Landry Jones, Junior Quarterback: Jones is the best passer that Texas has faced at this point in the young season. He is throwing for over 360 yards a game so far this season, with a pair of 400+ yard performances in his last two games. He is not particularly mobile, having only three net rushing yards this season, so pressuring him could be key. Half of his touchdown passes for the season came last week against Ball State where he threw five in just over two quarters. Jones is an accurate passer who throws an impressive deep ball. If he is given time to throw, he will connect on a lot of passes down the field, which would really put the Longhorns behind the eight-ball.

Ryan Broyles, Senior Wide Receiver: Oklahoma’s record receiver is on pace for another big season this year, having caught 38 balls for 476 yards this season. The only game that he hasn’t gotten over 100 yards receiving was against Florida State where he ran for 55 yards. His 304 career receptions are tied for the Big 12 record currently held by former Texas Tech running back, Taurean Henderson. He is only 12 catches behind the NCAA career record holder, Taylor Stubblefield of Purdue. He had a 13 catch game against Missouri, and a 14 catch game against Tulsa already this season, so he is more than capable of setting the record against the young Texas secondary.

Travis Lewis, Senior Linebacker: Lewis is the leader of the Oklahoma defense. He suffered a setback in fall practice when he broke his foot before the season started. Projected to be out until next week, Lewis came back earlier than expected two weeks ago against Florida State. Despite missing a game with the injury, he has 23 tackles and overcame the foot injury to lead the team in tackles twice this season, including his first game back against the Seminoles. Lewis, an NFL caliber players, is widely considered one of the top linebackers in the nation.

Dominique Whaley, Junior Running Back: Whaley has been the surprise of the Big 12. A junior college transfer, he has come in and provided the Sooners with a rushing attack that many thought would not be there after Demarco Murray left. He has rushed for 379 yards and seven touchdowns this season on 5.4 yards per carry. The walk-on has given Oklahoma another dimension to its offense to balance out Jones’ passing attack. He was stellar in the two Sooner blowouts at home this season, but had trouble in the pair of ten-point wins they played against Florida State and Missouri. He rushed for 139 yards in those two games combined, compared to 131 from game one against Tulsa. But he has proven that he should not be overlooked, especially against Texas defense that has given up big runs through the tackles.