University delayed until 10 a.m. because of inclement weather

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Citing "winter weather," University administrators canceled all classes before 10 a.m. Thursday morning. 

"Weather is often predictable, and conditions can change rapidly," read a statement issued by the University. "Before traveling to campus, please carefully assess your personal safety. If conditions are not safe for you to travel, please stay home."

Essential personel, which according to University policy are "employees designated by their departments to as vital to the operation of the University," were asked to come to work as requested by supervisors.

Austin Independent School District also announced Thursday it would be operating on a two-hour delay, including bus routes.

This is the third weather-related class change in the semester, as the University cancelled classes on Jan. 24 and Jan. 28. 

Student leaders criticized the University's handling of inclement weather last week, when administrators decided the University would remain open, then operate on a delay, then close down entirely, all within the same eight-hour period. On Tuesday, student government representatives introduced a resolution calling for improvements to the University's emergency preparedness policy.

History senior Joshua Tang, SG Administrative Director, said he hurt himself on campus before the Jan. 28 closures were announced.

“I decided to be a good student and take the day to study on campus,” Tang said at the meeting. “I wound up on the ground. It was me versus the ice and gravity, and I lost.”

Administrators issued an apology for the confusion the same afternoon.

“We’re very sorry for any trouble, inconvenience or problems that our students and employees faced related to our decisions,” the University said in a statement. “We are always working to improve our processes and to learn from each incident. Clearly, that includes today’s episode.”

According to UT System spokeswoman Jenny LaCoste-Caputo, Thursday's Board of Regents meeting will also be delayed until 10 a.m.