Classes will operate on 10 a.m. delayed start Tuesday because of “winter weather”

2014-01-29_Weather_Pu
Pu Ying Huang

Public relations and sociology senior Mina Ghobrial scrapes ice off his windshield with a TopGolf membership card while running his car Tuesday afternoon. Faculty and students saw its second day of canceled classes because of weather and road conditions.  

Citing "winter weather," University administrators canceled all classes before 10 a.m. Tuesday morning. 

University spokesman Gary Susswein said the decision was made in order to ensure the safety of UT students, faculty and staff.

"We're below freezing in some parts of the area, and there is still a chance of precipitation this morning," Susswein said.  

The University issued the late-start announcement just before 4:45 a.m. In an email message sent to students Monday afternoon, administrators promised to announce any delayed openings or campus closures by 5:30 a.m. at the latest.

"We understand there is a significant amount of fatigue with the weather situation over the past few weeks, however, the university must continue to make decisions for the safety of our faculty, staff, and students, while working in concert with our Austin community partners," the email said.

Last week, University administrators came under fire after deciding the University would stay open, then have a delayed start, then close entirely, all within the same eight-hour period. 

This is the fourth weather-related class change in the semester, as the University canceled classes on Jan. 24, Jan. 28 and Feb. 6.

To read about the impact closures will have on course syllabi and schedules, read here.