By The Numbers: Texas Tech

CUTOUT_ByTheNumbers_2014-10-28_UT_vs_IowaSt_Jenna
Jenna VonHofe

71-30: Texas’ record in the ninth game of the season — a win percentage of 70.3 percent. The Longhorns are 1-1 when entering with a 3-5 record, which includes a 1997 loss to Texas Tech at home.

48-15: All-time record of the Texas versus Texas Tech rivalry, in the Longhorns’ favor. Texas has claimed 76.2 percent of the contests and is 18-10 in Lubbock — a win percentage of 64.2 percent. The Longhorns have won the past two on the road versus the Red Raiders but have not three straight in Lubbock since 1966.

5: Number of consecutive meetings the Longhorns have won against the Red Raiders entering this weekend, tied for their longest win streak over Texas Tech since 1966.

30-17: The average score of the series, in the Longhorns’ favor. The average score at Lubbock is 28-22, in favor of Texas.

42.5: Amount of points the Red Raiders are allowing opponents to score this season — most in the Big 12 and 126th nationally. Entering last weekend’s 82-point debacle, they were allowing over 36 points per game — still the most in the Big 12. The Longhorn offense enters this weekend averaging only 20.8 points per game — ninth in the conference.

506.3: Yards of offense allowed by the Texas Tech defense per game, most in the Big 12 and 122nd nationally. Despite the Longhorn offense being ninth in the Big 12 in yards of offense per game with 348.3, the Red Raiders should find success against the porous defense.

0: Texas’ turnover margin for the season. Its margin is +6 on the season in wins compared to -6 in losses. Tech’s total margin on the year is -12, which is worst in the conference and is tied for 125th nationally.

26.9: The average number of first downs the Red Raiders surrender per game — 125th in the nation and most in the conference. Texas has struggled in that department, picking up only 18.6 first downs per game, which is ninth in the Big 12 and tied for 105th nationally.

26: The number of sacks recorded by the Texas defense this season, which is the most in the Big 12 despite only recording six over the past three games. Texas Tech’s defense has only allowed seven sacks in eight games so far this season — second fewest in the conference.

52: The number of plays the Texas offense ran in Saturday’s shutout loss to Kansas State — the program’s fewest count since running only 50 plays in its 28-10 victory over Oklahoma in 2006.

196: Yards of total offense the Longhorns accumulated in Saturday’s loss to Kansas State, their fewest total since only gaining 158 yards in their 63-14 loss to Oklahoma in 2000.

0: The number of times the Longhorns have defeated the Red Raiders on Nov. 1. They are 0-3 against Texas Tech the day after Halloween, and all three losses have been on the road.