Scenarios: Texas Tech

Texas Wins

… If sophomore quarterback Tyrone Swoopes can rebound after a horrible game against Kansas State. Swoopes looked uncomfortable against the Wildcats and had his worst game since the loss to Baylor. If Swoopes can play better than he did against Kansas State, Texas should be in good shape against Texas Tech. If Swoopes plays as he did against Oklahoma and Iowa State, the Longhorns will have no problem getting past the Red Raiders.

… If the supporting cast improves. While Swoopes struggled against the Wildcats, other aspects of the offense didn’t look much better. The running game only produced 90 yards. During the third quarter, Texas drove down the field but turned the ball over on an attempted double reverse. If Texas can avoid turnovers and play a much cleaner game Saturday, it won’t have an issue getting past Texas Tech.

… If the defense can play up to its standard. The defense didn’t play well against Iowa State, giving up 524 yards of total offense. But against Kansas State, the defense held the Wildcats to 367 yards of total offense. The Longhorn defense was the primary reason Texas was in the game against Kansas State, and this has become the norm.  If Texas’ defense can continue to keep the Longhorns alive, the offense will eventually have success in Lubbock on Saturday.

… If the special teams continue to play error-free. Special teams has been an issue for most of the season, but lately, the unit has become increasingly reliable. The return game has been efficient. Redshirt senior punter Will Russ and junior kicker Nick Rose have been good over the past few weeks. If the special teams continue their solid play, the Longhorns will be in a position to beat Texas Tech.

Texas Loses

… If Swoopes struggles. If Swoopes performs as he did against Baylor and Kansas State, the Longhorns will have no shot at beating Texas Tech.

… If the offense shoots itself in the foot. If turnovers and mistakes pile up Saturday, Texas Tech will beat the Longhorns.

… If Texas Tech is able to exploit the defense. If the Red Raiders find a way to beat the Texas defense and rack up the yards, they will beat the Longhorns.