Texas trails 17–0 after first half

DSC_9815webhalftime_AZ
Amy Zhang

The new and improved Texas offense began the 2015 season in disappointing fashion, while the Longhorn defense was gashed by Notre Dame in the first half for 17 unanswered points.

The Fighting Irish drove to midfield on its opening drive but a 4th down false start penalty stalled the drive.

The Notre Dame offense had better luck on its second drive of the game. Fighting Irish quarterback Malik Zaire connected with wide receiver Will Fuller of a 16-yard touchdown.

The Longhorns offense was anemic to start the first half. Texas went three-and-out to begin its first two drives of the game. Freshman punter Michael Dickson was able to pin the Fighting Irish deep in their own territory.

Starting at its own five yard line, Notre Dame drove the ball down the field and completed its third drive with a 14-yard touchdown rush by freshman running back Josh Adams.

Trying to spark its lethargic offense, Texas inserted redshirt freshman Jerrod Heard at quarterback. Senior Johnathan Gray took his first handoff of the game from Heard for an 11 yard gain. Heard completed his first pass to senior wide receiver Daje Johnson for 11 yards. But the drive stalled after a holding call.

After a pair punts, Notre Dame got its best field position of the night after Dickson was forced to punt inside his own endzone. The Fighting Irish set up shop inside Texas territory. The Longhorns were able hold defensively and held Notre Dame to a successful 38-yard field goal.

The Longhorns had an opportunity to score at the end of the half but senior kicker Nick Rose missed a 52-yard field goal wide left after nailing two from deep that were called off after two Notre Dame timeouts.

The Longhorns entered the locker room down 17–0.