Adams’ two goals lead Texas over Iowa State

2015-08-30_soccer_vs_ohio_Charlotte
Charlotte Carpenter

The time  hit 0:00 Friday night, and junior goalkeeper Cara Connatser jogged onto the pitch and made a beeline for freshman forward Alexa Adams.

Connatser didn’t just hug the Adams — she lifted her off the ground.

“She just said, ‘Great job,’” Adams said.

Adams netted the goals that clinched a 2-1 win for the Longhorns (5-3-4) against Iowa State (5-9) at Mike A. Myers Stadium in front of 428 spectators.

The Longhorns fired 15 shots in the first half. Three were on goal. They attacked ferociously, especially redshirt freshman forward Mikayla Flores, who had three shots in the first half.

But Texas couldn’t put one in the back of the net, and the game was tied at intermission.

The Longhorns’ attack continued in the second half. They created opportunity after opportunity, with shot after shot, but none went in.

In the 60th minute, Flores fired a shot off the crossbar, and it landed at Adams’ feet. She fired a fastball to give the Longhorns a 1-0 lead.

The lead didn’t last. In the 66th minute, senior goalkeeper Abby Smith fouled Iowa State junior forward Koree Willer in the box. Smith received a yellow card. Willer took a penalty kick and converted it to tie the game.

It looked as if Texas was in another  home match where it would play 110 minutes instead of the allotted 90. It looked as if it would be another game in which the Longhorns would settle for a tie when they could have won the game.

But in the 79th minute, Smith’s goal kick traveled past midfield — like most of them do. The ball found a Texas player, and then senior forward Kelsey Shimmick head it to Adams, who fired the ball from 24 yards away.

The ball sailed over sophomore goalkeeper Lindsey Hendon and dipped under the crossbar. Adams’ second goal, the game-winner in a 2-1 Texas victory, sealed Texas fifth win of the season.

“Great job Lex, you saved us,” Flores told Adams after the game. “You deserve those two goals.”

It was a breakout performance,  but Flores said she  didn’t think it would be a one-time thing.

“I could see Alexa performing like that anytime,” Flores said. “She’s a great player. She’s a great part of the youth of on our team, and those are well-deserved goals.”

“That's what she expects of herself,” head coach Angela Kelly said.

That's what Kelly and her teammates expect from her, too.