Spring sports season features busy schedule, key matchups

2015-04-29_Baseball_VS_AM_Prarie_Graeme
Graeme Hamilton

The spring sports season features a busy schedule with key matchups for basketball, baseball and track and field. Here are some of the top events you’ll need to mark on your calendar.

Baseball at Texas A&M — March 15

This spring break showdown would be huge regardless of the sport. Since the Aggies bolted for the SEC, matchups with Texas A&M have been few and far between. The last time these two teams matched up in baseball was in 2014 when Texas took two of three games in the Houston Regional of the NCAA tournament. This year’s battle won’t carry the same weight, but it could be a preview of things to come later in the season. The Longhorns enter this season ranked No. 23 in the nation, while the Aggies begin at No. 4.

Men’s Basketball vs. Kansas — Feb. 29

The Longhorns have had their share of tough matchups this season, including upset wins over then-No. 2 North Carolina and No. 19 Iowa State, but the late season home matchup against Kansas might be the biggest challenge yet. The Jayhawks have won every Big 12 regular season title since 2002, but the Longhorns have traditionally played them tough in Austin. Fortunately for Texas, senior center Cameron Ridley could be healed from his broken foot by that time, which could provide a huge boost for Texas’ upset chances. 

Texas Relays — March 25–28

Austinites will get their chance to see some of the best track and field athletes at the 89th Texas Relays in late March. High school, collegiate and professional athletes will showcase their talents over the course of four days at Mike A. Meyers Stadium. The men’s team — featuring nine-time All-American thrower junior Ryan Crouser — is ranked No. 2 in the preseason indoor track and field polls, while the No. 3 women should be rounding into midseason form.

Women’s Basketball at Baylor — Feb. 29

The Longhorns had a chance to end its recent woes against Baylor last Sunday. A double-double by senior center Imani Boyette and a 16-point performance by sophomore guard Brooke McCarthy were not enough to prevent Texas from a 80-67 blowout at the hands of the Bears for its first loss of the season. Texas’ chance at redemption will come in the last game of the regular season. Texas hasn’t won in the Farrell Center since 2010, but a win could set the tone for
postseason play.

Softball vs. Arkansas — Feb. 11

The Longhorns open the 2016 season with a nonconference match for the first time in three years as they take on Arkansas. The game will be the first chance for freshman outfielder Reagan Hathaway to make her case for a spot on the U.S. national team in front of NCAA competition. Sophomore pitcher Erica Wright will hope to help the Longhorns rebound from a third place finish in the Los Angeles Regional last year.