Live Blog: SXSW 2017 | Saturday, March 11

2017-03-11_SXSW_Day2_Zoe
Zoe Fu

Update (3:30 p.m.): Rainn Wilson and Justin Baldoni discussed the importance and power of empathy in entertainment media and their respective side projects, the SoulPancake and the Wayfarer.

-Mae Hamilton

Update (3:07 p.m.): Seth Rogen, Garth Ennis, and Sam Catlin discussed season two of their show Preacher, upcoming developments, casting, and more.

-Daisy Wang

Update (11:59 a.m.): Padmasree Warrior, CEO of electric car startup NextEV USA, spoke about the benefits of autonomous vehicles and common misconceptions. Self-driving cars could solve many of the problems associated with driving, which include pollution, wasted productivity and accidents due to human error. Warrior said that, contrary to popular belief, autonomy and performance in cars are not mutually exclusive and that self-driving vehicles would be easy to use and widely accessible. She also clarified that making cars autonomous will require reconfiguring every aspect of cars’ engineering, rather than just adding features.

-Freya Preimesberger

Update (10:29 a.m.): In “Future of Autonomous Driving: Master the Map!”, Mercedes-Benz head Dieter Zetsche discussed the future of maps and their role in enabling self-driving cars.  Zetsche described maps as a scout and a steward for human drivers and autonomous cars, and how a data-sharing platform for information on road work, traffic and weather could create real-time, high definition maps that look beyond the limitations of cameras and sensors.

“Maps as a scout have a huge potential to enhance safety on the road,” Zetsche said. “They’re one important missing link to self-driving vehicles tomorrow. The questions is, ‘how do we get there?’”

-Freya Preimesberger

Here’s our schedule for the day!

2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Inside the Making of the Preacher (Seth Rogen)

3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Shake Up the Industry by Entertaining with Empathy (Rainn Wilson and Justin Baldoni)

9:00 p.m. – 10:53 p.m.: Baby Driver screening

–Daisy Wang