Texas linebacker Edwin Freeman announces graduate transfer

football_2017-11-25_Texas_v
Brooke Crim

Texas linebacker Edwin Freeman is leaving Texas and will complete his college career at another program as a graduate transfer, Texas Athletics confirmed Saturday afternoon.

“Forever a Longhorn and forever grateful to the University of Texas and all coaches for giving me an opportunity to earn a degree and play football at my dream school … #GradTransfer,” Freeman said in a tweet Saturday morning.

Texas Athletics later confirmed Freeman’s departure from the Longhorn program.

“I will forever be grateful to the University of Texas and all of my coaches for giving me the opportunity to come earn my degree and play football at my dream school,” Freeman said in a Texas Athletics press release. “I especially want to thank all of my teammates who have become my brothers over the last four years. With that said, I’ve decided to transfer with my degree in hand and pursue an opportunity at another school to finish my football career.”

The former 4-star recruit was one of the last remaining from Mack Brown’s 2013 recruiting class after redshirting his freshman year.  

Unable to participate in spring practice due to a triceps injury, Freeman was expected to act as a serviceable backup providing experience and depth to an athletic linebacking core after the team lost Malik Jefferson to the NFL draft.  

Freeman appeared to emerge as a potential starter for the 2017 season after starting the final five games of 2016 under Charlie Strong, but a new-and-revamped Todd Orlando defense saw Freeman’s role dwindle to primarily special teams duties this past season.  

Nevertheless, Freeman still appeared in 11 games this past season, accumulating six total tackles and a fumble recovery that capped off a 33-16 Longhorn victory over Missouri in the Texas Bowl.  

Freeman accumulated 67 total tackles during his time at Texas, 49 of which came in an impressive sophomore campaign.  

The Arlington native graduated this past spring with a degree in physical culture and sports and a minor in business, but he still holds a year of NCAA eligibility after redshirting his freshman season.

Other notable transfers this offseason include third-string quarterback Josh Covey and wide receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps.

Freeman provided no indication as to where he might transfer.