Robert Englund reprises the role of Freddy on The Goldbergs, prompting hopes for new Nightmare

freddy_krueger_courtesy
Courtesy of ABC

1, 2 Freddy’s … on “The Goldbergs?”

Actor Robert Englund reprised the iconic role of Freddy Krueger from “A Nightmare on Elm Street” on a recent Halloween-themed episode of ABC’s “The Goldbergs.” Englund hasn’t acted as the iconic 80s slasher since the 2003 crossover “Freddy vs. Jason.”

Since then, he has stated multiple times that he is retiring from the role and had no plans to pick up the famed bladed glove again. This all changed when Beverly (Wendi Mclendon-Covey) from “The Goldbergs”  and Freddy (Robert Englund) appeared in costume on social media to promote this special Halloween event.

In this episode of “The Goldbergs,” Beverly Goldberg confronts her son’s fear of “A Nightmare on Elm Street” in a terrifying dream sequence paying homage to the Krueger legacy. Freddy stalks Beverly through a terrifying dreamscape as she encounters creepy jump roping girls and an army of living sweaters. Englund seamlessly falls right back into the role he was destined to play, leaving fans craving a new entry in the Elm Street series.

After the episode aired, show creator Adam F. Goldberg tweeted that “(Englund) said he’d never be Freddy again, but had so much fun when we shot he’s now open to it.” This opens a wide range of possibilities with where the franchise could go next. Radio-television-film freshman Alex Fleck expressed his love for the original film and emphasized his desire to see Freddy on the big
screen again.

“‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ is one of the most original and creepy horror movies ever made,” Fleck said. “I would love to see Freddy Krueger with the original actor appear one more time in a new movie set in present day.”

Englund added more fuel to this exciting fire in an interview with Access when he said, “I might have one (more ‘Nightmare’ film) left in me.” In addition, Heather Langenkamp, who played the “Final Girl” in the first film, expressed her interest in returning for another film to Entertainment Weekly.

Considering the multi-million dollar success of the most recent “Halloween” reboot, New Line Cinema would be foolish not to bring back the classic “Nightmare” franchise. Radio-television-film freshman Thomas Casler noted that now would be the perfect time to bring back Freddy.

“I think now is the perfect time for a new ‘Nightmare on Elm Street’,” Casler said. “There is so much you can do with that world and with that character and if done right, someone can recapture the horror of that Freddy.”

There are eight films that feature Robert Englund as the titular character, where many story lines have been explored. Radio-television-film freshman Daniel Onderdonk said while he would want Freddy to return, it would have to flow with the existing franchise.

“Should Englund feel that there is more to explore regarding his iconic character of Freddy Krueger, I would welcome the idea of a ‘final chapter,’” Onderdonk said. “But Englund’s could-be reprisal must be born in service to the franchise and hold vital significance to the series as a whole.”

Freddy Krueger’s horrifying legacy dates back over 30 years. Now, after his recent appearance, the horror community is eager and ready for Englund to sport his character’s iconic fedora on the silver screen yet again.