These campus resources can help students relax, mentally and physically

Spa_0828_ChanningMiller(SpaGuide)
Channing Miller

Returning to campus after summer can leave students physically and mentally strained. However, there are resources on campus that can help put students at ease.

In particular, Gregory Gym and the Counseling and Mental Health Center have lesser-known facilities that offer several opportunities to take care of the body and mind outside of diet and exercise.

Gregory Gym

While Gregory Gym has a wide variety of exercise equipment, it also has facilities and services that can relax the body.

Massage

The UT RecSports program offers several different types of massages given by trained massage therapists in the Wellness Center located in Gregory Gym 1.106. The variety of massages offered include table, chair, Thai and pregnancy massages, as well as hot stone application. Service add-ons include deep tissue, hot towel treatments and aromatherapy. Appointments should be made at least an hour in advance and paid 15 minutes before. Prices are available on the UT RecSports website.

Steam rooms and sauna

In addition to the massage services offered in Gregory Gym, there are steam rooms and a sauna, which help relax tense muscles with heated steam. This is a free option for students who are not looking for the intensity of a massage but would still like to relax.

CMHC MindBody Lab

After relaxing their bodies, students can visit the CMHC MindBody Labs, which feature resources that can help put the mind at ease.

Guided Exercises

The MindBody Labs located in the Student Services Building and Student Activity Center have guided programs such as breathing exercises, guided meditations and muscle relaxation. There is also information available about general health and well-being, as well as sleep, food and eating issues.

Biofeedback tools

In addition to guided exercises and information available, the CMHC provides RESPeRATE devices, which help to lower blood pressure, in all locations. In the Student Services Building location, there is also a Galvanic Skin Resistance 2, which can be used to measure the electrical characteristics of the skin. These correlate with emotional statuses such as fear and anxiety. Resources provided by the MindBody Labs are free.

Thrive app

Created by the Counseling and Mental Health Center to enhance the mental well-being of students, the Thrive iPhone app is a free resource accessible off-campus. It offers interactive activities meant to help students navigate the difficulties which come with being in college through changes in patterns and behaviors.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the Thrive app was created by University Health Services. The Texan regrets this error.