Best Texas Wins: From Cameron Dicker to Stonie Clark

The Daily Texan Staff

With No. 11 Texas and No. 6 Oklahoma heading to the Cotton Bowl for the 115th installment of the Red River Showdown, The Daily Texan staff has ranked Texas' five best wins in Dallas. 

2008: Texas ships Shipley in 2008

It is October 2008 in Dallas, Texas, and the 103rd annual Red River Rivalry game is in full swing. Both teams are 5–0 going into their Week 6 matchup, Oklahoma ranked No. 1 while Texas sits at No. 5.

Oklahoma, led by quarterback and future heisman winner Sam Bradford, took an early lead over the Longhorns with a score of 14-3 in the second quarter. Oklahoma was coming off a scoring drive, where their touchdown was almost fumbled by tight end Jermaine Gresham but caught inches from the endzone by wide receiver Ryan Broyles. 

Freshman punter Matthew Moreland lined up for the kick, OU fans cheering “Boomer Sooner.” Cue the cannons, the ball was in the air, and it soared into the arms of wide receiver Jordan Shipley at the 5-yard line. From there, Shipley took off into the scrum of players but found a hole big enough for him to rush through. He left behind a pile of Oklahoma players and kept running, seeing nothing but green grass until he found himself in endzone. 

Touchdown Texas. A 96-yard punt return that would go down in Red Rivalry history and would help secure Texas’ 45-35 win over OU.  – Daniela Perez

1958: Darrell K Royal’s first win against Oklahoma