Procrastination 101: 6 films, TV shows coming to streaming services this fall

filmlisticle_CourtesyofNetflix
Courtesy of Netflix

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to strain the entertainment industry, viewers have been  unable to watch films originally set to release this year. Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi thriller “TENET” saw its theatrical release date delayed three times before opening in Europe instead.

For those looking for something new to watch from their couch, The Daily Texan compiled a list of six films and series premiering on streaming services this fall.

‘I’m Thinking of Ending Things’

Director Charlie Kaufman’s latest film is an adaptation of author Iain Reid’s debut novel, a fictional horror story that follows a young man (Jesse Plemmons) who takes his girlfriend (Jessie Buckley) to meet his parents (Toni Colette and David Thewlis) on their secluded farm. Having written “The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” Kaufman is no stranger to exploring love and regret. “I’m Thinking of Ending Things,” premiering Sept. 4 on Netflix, will explore similar themes, but in a more frightening way. 

‘Away’

Hilary Swank is at the helm of “Away,” a new sci-fi series that follows an American astronaut who must leave her family behind to embark on a three-year mission and command an international space crew. The story looks to be an emotional one, as each crew member must deal with their respective personal struggles from millions of miles away. In any case, the 10-episode series will provide a much needed escape from reality, and is set to premiere Sept. 4 on Netflix. 

‘The Devil All the Time’

Based on the book by Donald Ray Pollock, this psychological thriller follows a twisted preacher (Robert Pattison), a devious sheriff (Sebastian Stan) and a serial-killer couple (Jason Clarke and Riley Keough) as their lives intertwine with young Arvin Russell (Tom Holland). Russell, the orphaned son of a Vietnam War veteran and cancer-stricken mother, must protect himself and his family from the sinister forces that threaten them. “The Devil All the Time” will be released Sept. 16 on Netflix. 

‘Ratched’

Ken Keesey’s terrifying, infamous Nurse Mildred Ratched from the 1962 novel “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” is back with a new series starring Sarah Paulson as the asylum nurse. The suspense thriller series will follow Nurse Ratched as she seeks employment at a psychiatric hospital where disconcerting experiments on the human mind have begun. ‘Ratched’ will premiere Sept. 18 on Netflix. 

‘The Glorias’

Centered around the life of American journalist, feminist and activist Gloria Steinem, this biopic will span decades of Steinem’s life. Alicia Vikander will play Steinem as a journalist in the 1960s, and Julianne Moore will portray her as a leader of the 1970s women’s liberation movement. The film is based on Steinem’s autobiography “My Life on the Road,” and also stars Bette Midler and Janelle Monáe. It will be released Sept. 30 on Amazon Prime Video. 

‘The Trial of the Chicago 7’ 

In 1969, a group of anti-Vietnam War protesters named the Chicago Seven were charged with conspiracy after crossing state lines with the goal of inciting riots at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. What followed was a scandalous trial that captivated the nation. Writer-director Aaron Sorkin’s film will bring the story to life with a star-studded cast, including Sacha Baron Cohen, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Michael Keaton. The film will be released Oct. 16 on Netflix.