‘Inbetween Girl’ director, writer Mei Makino talks balancing different cultures growing up

In Between Girlw
Courtesy of In Between Girl

“Inbetween Girl’ premiered at South by Southwest 2021 on Thursday as UT alumna Mei Makino’s feature film debut. The film is a coming-of-age story about Chinese-American teen Angie Chen. She grapples with her parents’ divorce and biracial identity while secretly hooking up with school stud Liam, who has a girlfriend.

The Daily Texan spoke to Makino about her creative process and how she hopes the audience responds to the film. 

The Daily Texan: What inspired you to write “Inbetween Girl?” What was the creative process like?

MM: I wrote a lot of coming-of-age stories growing up because there is always a good character arc as the protagonist struggles and attempts to resolve what she’s going through … I wanted to model my protagonist after a woman of color being kept a secret. I wanted to explore how she would contend with that. My original protagonist was half-Black, half-Mexican because I had a lot of Black and Hispanic students when I was a film teacher. It was easier to write about someone who didn’t look like me. I ended up wanting any non-white actress to audition and Emma Galbraith, who is half-white, half-Chinese, really knocked it out of the park, so I was able to write a script with her in mind. … What started out as a seed of a boy climbing through a girl’s window turned into something special. 

DT: How do you hope the audience will respond to the film? 

MM: I like that people can always take something individualistic when they watch a movie. Everyone sees something different. I definitely want teenage girls to know they’re not alone because some of the struggles they face are not particularly represented in the media. Emma and I talked a lot about being biracial and how I felt like a fraud in my Asianness because I have a white mom. … I want teenage girls to take care of themselves, love themselves and surround themselves with good people.

DT: What did you learn from directing and writing “Inbetween Girl” and how will you apply these skills in your next films? 

MM: Overcommunication is key. Without communication, we wouldn’t have been able to bounce around ideas for plot, design and production. The whole process would’ve been two-dimensional. … I (also) want to keep casting as organic as possible. I wrote my script around Emma Galbraith because I wanted her to really connect with the role and not have to over think any cultural nuances. If I casted a Black actress, the protagonist (in the film) would have been Black. If I casted a white actress, the protagonist (in the film) would have been white. I wanted to keep the connection from script to screen as authentic as I could.

DT: How does it feel to have your film premiere at SXSW? 

MM: It feels surreal. I remember having the opportunity to go to South by Southwest after I graduated (from UT) in 2014. The exposure and seeing panels became something I dreamed of being a part of. I’m kind of proud, and that dream happening is so amazing. … I have ideas to expand into different genres that are more experimental, but for now I hope everyone enjoys “Inbetween Girl” and the multidimensionality of Angie Chen.