70 days and 4,000 miles later: Texas 4000 builds community, spreads awareness, raises money for cancer research

Courtesy of Beril Saygin

As Beril Saygin, biology and Plan II senior, crosses the finish line of her bike ride from Austin to Anchorage, Alaska, alongside her teammates, she’s not just biking for herself.

“I’m riding for the fact that even when there seems like there’s nothing, there’s always hope,” Saygin said. “Anyone can bring hope. You don’t have to be a doctor to do that.”

On July 28, the 2023 Texas 4000 (T4K) team completed their 70-day bike ride of over 4,000 miles from Austin to Anchorage to help raise money for cancer research. The ride serves as the culmination of 18 months of preparation, including practice rides, local volunteering and accommodation planning.

The team of 45 riders splits into two groups — the Rockies, which follows the shadow of the Rocky Mountains, and the Ozarks that tours through the midwest. Both groups stop in large cities and small towns sharing the mission of Texas 4000, spreading awareness about risk factors and cancer prevention catered to the specific areas where they stop.

Many team members have personal stories of family members or loved ones affected by cancer. Riders start each day with “ride dedications” and gratitudes, giving them a chance to share what motivates them to ride, what they are thankful for and other pieces of their life before the day begins. According to finance junior Olivia Flaming, the ride dedications ground each biker’s day. 

“When you’re on mile 99 and it’s difficult, you can circle back to those names and remember why you’re doing it,” Flaming said. “It’s so connective. Hearing everyone’s stories and those precious parts of life every single morning was hugely impactful on us. As a team, you automatically grow closer.”

Beril Saygin said she felt drawn to T4K because of her loved ones’ cancer journeys. Saygin said one of her loved ones receiving treatment at MD Anderson, a T4K historic grant recipient, factored into her involvement in T4K as she wanted to give back to something that had helped those close to her.

While preparing for the 70-day journey, Saygin’s boyfriend and UT alumnus, Ben Selle, received news of his father’s retroperitoneal liposarcoma diagnosis. Selle, already supporting Saygin through her preparations, said the ride took on a whole new meaning.

“It was awesome getting to feel the support from Beril and the rest of her teammates,” Selle said. “All the other riders — after they heard my dad’s story — they reached out and talked to me about it. Hearing that they’re riding for (my dad) was really cool.”

Saygin brought bracelets in support of Selle’s father throughout her ride, taking pictures with them along the way and even leaving one at the Alaska/Canada border. 

“I wanted to go on this ride to support (my loved ones), but they ended up supporting me,” Saygin said. “(They were) telling me how much the ride really meant to them and how much hope it was bringing them.” 

The team raised over $300,000, part of which will be donated. Another portion will be used to keep the program running for years to come, Flaming said. Previous grant recipients include UT Southwestern Medical Center, Brent’s Place and BC Cancer Foundation. 

“It’s not just biking,” Saygin said, “There’s accidents and really difficult weather and really difficult interactions. Stuff is always going on and on top of that you’re also biking 4,000 miles over 70 days. The team became a family and really learned to lean on each other.”