The Daily Texan’s top 5 movies of summer 2023

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures, Universal and Warner Bros. Pictures.

Summer not only marked one of the hottest seasons in history, but also one of the hottest Hollywood movie eras in recent memory. Pulling from the many excellent films released, The Daily Texan compiled a list of five that shone brightly amidst the cinematic chaos.

5. “Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One”

With a legacy spanning 27 years, the “Mission: Impossible” franchise continues to unveil sequel after sequel, each one proving more notable than the last. These films transcend fan culture, uniting fans and casual viewers alike in theaters everywhere. “Mission: Impossible — Dead Reckoning Part One” continues this winning streak. Even in the face of “Barbenheimer,” “Mission: Impossible 7” took home $164.6 million domestically. Despite minor online controversies claiming the film copied an action sequence from the video game “Uncharted 2,” the film resonated with audiences. 

4. “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”

TMNT remains one of the most popular children’s IPs of all time. These heroes in half shells named after famous painters have been portrayed in various capacities since 1984, but none prove as captivating as the latest installment from director Jeff Rowe (“The Mitchells vs the Machines,” “Gravity Falls”). The most notable change to this narrative comes in the form of casting. For the first time ever, these iconic reptiles attribute their voices to real teenage actors: Micah Abbey as Donatello, Shamon Brown Jr. as Michaelangelo, Nicolas Cantu as Leonardo and Brady Noon as Raphael. On top of that, the animation style stuns despite early comparisons to the “Spider-Verse” movies. The film feels fresh and unique in a way most animated movies seem to lack.

3. “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”

The long awaited sequel to “Into the Spider-Verse” saw its release this summer. “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse” experimented with its art direction while retaining the original style of its predecessor, and audiences hail its animation amongst the best to grace the screen.  Continuing Miles Morales’ (Shameik Moore) journey, the film tells a story of family, self discovery and acceptance.

2. “Oppenheimer”

Audiences everywhere build hype around all Christopher Nolam films, and more so than ever for this summer’s “Oppenheimer.” Starring Cillian Murphy in the titular role, Nolan approaches the subject matter of atomic weaponry delicately while also hitting audiences with real experiences and consequences of nuclear war. Nolan’s approach to storytelling makes this film truly fascinating. Typically, he leans more into the action genre, but “Oppenheimer” stands as a pure drama, a movie focused on the riveting dialogue of morally gray characters. While not the most cheerful watch, “Oppenheimer” stands as one of the most important films in recent memory as a reminder of humanity’s monstrous tendencies.

1. “Barbie”

Unsurprisingly, Greta Gerwig’s (“Lady Bird,” “Little Women”) third film takes the number one spot for this summer’s top movie. From its witty screenplay to its comprehensive art design, “Barbie” proves painstakingly perfected. The movie features a powerhouse of a cast: Margot Robbie as the titular Barbie and Ryan Gosling as her goofy sidekick, Ken. Delving into Barbie’s journey towards self-discovery, the film navigates the complexity of modern womanhood, addressing self-definition and resilience against societal constraints. While not as dramatic as Gerwig’s previous outings, “Barbie” still finds a way to make audiences sob while smiling from ear to ear.