Sampha’s Lahai beautifully explores the nuances of spiritual growth

Courtesy of Young Records.

The elusive South London musical savant, Sampha, ascended back into the limelight to serve a robust body of work this Friday, releasing his highly anticipated sophomore album Lahai. Born Sampha Lahai Sisay to Sierra Leonean parents in Morden, South London, the talented singer-songwriter garnered an epic reputation in the music world. Working with artists including Frank Ocean, Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Solange, the introspective artist’s talent backs up his resume.

His debut album, Process, released in 2017, delivered a passionate and climactic masterpiece as a heart wrenching ode to his mother who passed away in 2015. Although he featured on select albums since his debut, Sampha generally evaded the spotlight since his freshman album. Lahai marks his triumphant return as his eager fans waited for over six years to receive a full project. 

Sonically, the sophomore album makes for a continuation of Sampha’s heavenly sound. With the talented singer’s voice as the project’s focal point, he drenches each track with luscious harmonies and backing vocals that envelop the listener with a sense of warmth and comfort. Underscored by riveting piano chords and fast-paced chattering hi-hat drums, Sampha imbues his instrumentals with contrast that creates tension amidst the array of gorgeous sounds. His inclusion of sporadic, spacey synth elements on tracks like “Jonathan L. Seagull” and “Satellite Business” texturize and add depth to his masterful arrangement of sounds. A standout track on the record, “Suspended,” showcases Sampha’s voice with a harmonious chorus, fleeting backing vocals and subtle drum patterns that create a feeling of levity and lightness that Sampha discusses in the song. 

Sampha seems to pursue spiritual growth and balance, coming from a much happier and peaceful perspective compared to his debut album. Part of his exploration throughout the album draws from becoming a father in 2020, with lines like “Through the eyes of my child I can see an inner-vision” on the riveting track “Satellite Business.” Shifts in perspective from the throws of life affect Sampha and the world around him, detailing these connections in his songwriting. Hard-hitting lines like “On the same track running at a different pace / Will I catch up or will you just race away someday?” and “Things can get sour and strained / In the portrait of a lover’s game” poignantly express the nuances of the tumultuous nature of relationships. Metamorphosis requires vulnerability and perseverance through emotional labor to come out an evolved person, and Sampha takes the listener on his journey through his storied lyrics.

“Lahai,” Sampha’s middle name and the name of his grandfather, showcases the deeply personal nature of the project. Each track acts as a window into Sampha’s psyche throughout his spiritual transformation since his debut album. The listener follows him on this journey through the heavenly soundscape full of rich falsettos and harmonies, beautiful piano and rhythmic drums that evoke emotional vulnerability. Sampha’s raw display of personal growth and its complex consequences hits close to home and acts as an inspiration for his audience to keep pushing forward. 

4.5 seagulls out of 5