Texas’ defense dominates in 96-44 win over Louisiana Tech

Assad Malik

The Texas Longhorns faced off against the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Sunday in a 96-44 win. This was arguably the Longhorn’s best defensive game of the season.

Texas head coach Vic Schaefer has emphasized how his team will play a hard-nosed pressure defense right from the tipoff. The Longhorns rose to that challenge, wreaking havoc while playing in their zone, man and full-court press defenses. There is still a lot of season left to play, but if Texas can continue to receive help from role players, this could be another successful season for the Longhorns.

On Sunday, one of the biggest contributors was graduate guard Shaylee Gonzales. She ended the game with 12 points, but her impact on defense is what made her stand out against the Bulldogs. Gonzales finished with three steals, two rebounds and a block.

“I thought Shaylee played well, especially the first half,” Schaefer said. “She came out and she was obviously ready to go.”

The team as a whole had an impressive defensive outing, forcing 29 turnovers. These turnovers came in the form of steals, shot clock violations and five-second inbound violations.

Senior forward Taylor Jones, who ended with 25 points, eight rebounds and five blocks, pointed out that defense was a point of emphasis this week after their recent performances.

“We haven’t been the best on defense, so for the last three days, the last three practices, it was really emphasized — being at the (free throw) line, (helping defense) and being in the right position,” Jones said.

On Sunday, sophomore guard Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda started to take on more offensive responsibilities. Mwenentanda finished the game with 15 points, four offensive rebounds and two steals. She attributes her recent success to the trust she has in her teammates.

“It helps when my teammates trust me and the type of chemistry we have this year,” Mwenentanda said.

Unfortunately, the Longhorns didn’t leave this game unscathed as both senior guard Shay Holle and freshman forward Madison Booker left the game with injuries. Yet, the injuries do not seem very serious.

Holle received a blow to the face and did not return until the game’s last couple of minutes.

“(Holle) got hit in the nose by a person’s head, but she’s a tough kid,” he said.

Booker landed awkwardly when diving for a loose ball in the third quarter and did not return.

“(Booker) got a little strain on her hamstring,” Schaefer said. “She tried to convince me that she’s OK.”

The Longhorns will travel to the Virgin Islands for the Paradise Jam tournament from Thursday to Saturday. Texas will face off against Arizona State, High Point and South Florida.