Texas women’s basketball falls 61-58 on the road against Kansas State

Joy Li

The Texas Longhorns visited the Kansas State Wildcats in a game that came down to one of the last possessions. Although freshman forward Madison Booker tallied her second highest scoring game of the season with 23 points, the Longhorns fell to No.12 Kansas State 61-58.

With only 15 seconds left in the game, down three, the Longhorns forced a turnover giving Texas a chance to tie the game and send it into overtime. Graduate guard Shaylee Gonzales had her three-point shot tipped and a last-ditch save from junior forward Aaliyah Moore fell into the arms of a Wildcat ending the game. 

Only two players finished with double digit points, and those who were tasked with defending All-American senior center Ayoka Lee found themselves in foul trouble. This is the first time in eight games that the Wildcats topped the Longhorns as Texas is now 3–2 in conference play. The back-and-forth game included eight ties and nine lead changes; however, the disparity in shooting became the difference maker in this game.

Along with her 23 points, Booker pulled down five rebounds, four assists and two steals. The freshman was thrust into the point guard position due to junior guard Rori Harmon’s season-ending injury. Against the Wildcats, Booker was one of the few bright spots on the offensive side of the ball. Her confidence continues to grow as Booker, on multiple possessions, attacked her defender, got to her spot, and drained contested mid-range shots.

The starting lineup featured Moore for the first time since December of 2022. Moore did not disappoint as she was the only other member of the Longhorns in double digit scoring with 15 points. Along with her offensive output, the junior also grabbed six rebounds and three steals in only 26 minutes played. This is a promising showing for the Longhorns as Moore can add height to this already tall starting lineup.

Along with scoring almost 30 points less than their season average, Texas shot an uncharacteristic 18.2% from the 3-point line. The two main perimeter shooters for the Longhorns, Gonzales and senior guard Shay Holle, struggled from deep. The guards shot two for eight combined from behind the arc. Head Coach Vic Schaefer gave credit to the Wildcats and their leadership.

“They’re a veteran team, their chemistry is really good, it’s really good on both ends,” Coach Schaefer said.

Senior forward DeYona Gaston got the start and the initial task of stopping the Wildcats’ senior center Ayoka Lee. Shortly after, senior forward Taylor Jones was given the same task. However, Lee finished with 21 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks. Gaston finished with three personal fouls as Jones led the team with four personal fouls. This foul trouble forced coach Schaefer to constantly sub out the players for one another. Coach Schaefer described Lee as a “forgiveness player”.

“She (Lee) really is a great rim protector and then she’s a woobie blanket on the other end,” Schaefer said.

The Longhorns will have to forget about this one quickly as they face a Kansas team that knocked off the No.4 Baylor Bears earlier this season. The game will take place at the Moody Center on Tuesday, Jan. 16.