Texas men’s basketball conquers Mountaineers with outstanding shooting

Lorianne Willett

After Texas suffered a brutal loss to West Virginia early in conference play, the Longhorns clapped back with a vengeance, destroying the Mountaineers 94-58 at home.

“Tonight we had great flow, just like we did in the previous game offensively,” Head Coach Rodney Terry said. “We made shots tonight. We had good energy on defense.”

The mid-January battle between the two teams in Morganville was a tough loss for the at-time No. 25 Texas squad filled with turnovers and sloppy passes. However, in Saturday’s re-match, Texas carried a completely different presence shooting over 51% in field goal percentage and over 46% from the three-point line and defensively keeping West Virginia to their third-lowest score of the season.  

With their performance on the court, the players said that the main thing they need to continue for future Big 12 matchups is their consistency.

“The big thing is being consistent,” graduate guard Max Abmas said. “Continuing to learn from it, continuing to get better and being consistent in every game from now on.”

The star of the matchup was no question graduate forward Dylan Disu who did not miss a shot in the first half, scoring 19 points with 11 coming from the first three minutes of the game alone. Disu finished off the game with 27 points, three assists and two steals.

Abmas held 19 points with nine assists and six rebounds. In the game, Abmas was able to clench the ranking of 12th highest career points in NCAA history with 2,986 points, surpassing the retired professional basketball player Oscar Robinson (2,973) who played for Cincinnati. 

The Texas offense was more fluid than in recent matchups and was easily able to find holes, creating many effortless scoring opportunities in the paint. With this, Texas was able to get the home crowd riled up with many intense dunks, one so explosive that sophomore guard Chendall Weaver hit his face against the backboard, but continued playing as his energetic self. 

The game was also monumental by marking Terry’s 201st career win and the team’s total 28 rebounds set a conference record for Texas.

Texas had all five of its starting players finish with double-digit points and built itself such a substantial lead that bench players came onto the court with 2:30 left to play. Texas ended the game with a dunk from freshman forward Devon Pryor.

Coming off its hot win, Texas will have to re-match another team that they lost earlier in the season. The Longhorns will take on No. 5 Houston in Houston on Saturday, Feb. 17 at noon CT.