No. 2/2 Texas softball pitching struggles in 0-5 loss against No. 8/10 Oklahoma State

Skyler Sharp
Freshman Pitcher Teagan Kavan smiles and holds her horns up as her name is called prior to the game against NSU on March 1, 2024.

Home runs have worked in No. 2/2 Texas softball’s favor this season, but in a 0-5 loss against No. 8/10 Oklahoma State Thursday night, home runs left Texas playing catch-up.

Before the Longhorn’s last opener against the Cowgirls as a member of the Big 12 Conference, the Longhorn pitching staff had only allowed eight home runs; however, in one game, Oklahoma State hit three solo homers, including junior pitcher Mac Morgan’s first allowed this season. 

The Cowgirls’ momentum was sparked early in the game, with the first solo home run hit in the first inning, and the Longhorns couldn’t put out the fire in time. 

At the bottom of the third inning, the Cowgirls broke the game open even further, lacing freshman pitcher Teagan Kavan’s pitches into the outfield.

Kavan started well, striking out the first batter on a 1-2 count, but the success didn’t last very long. 

The second batter homered out to right center, bringing the score to 0-2. At a dangerous place in the Cowgirls’ batting order, Head Coach Mike White called time and visited Kavan in the circle. 

Kavan’s confidence was shaken. In her worst start this season, the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week allowed a base hit to left field before being relieved by Morgan.

Morgan came in in hopes of finishing the inning; however, Oklahoma State wasn’t ready for the inning to end. With runners on third and first, the Cowgirls hit a ball right down the foul ball line on the right side, bringing in both runners. 

Then, in the fifth inning, Oklahoma State hit one last solo home run, raising the score to 0-5.

Meanwhile, Texas had the spark but couldn’t get the fire started. The Longhorns had an opportunity to get runners home but, with the Cowgirls’ strong defense and pitching staff, the chances were squashed. 

The Longhorns had a pair of runners on base with only one out in two separate innings, but they couldn’t capitalize on the hits, and the innings ended with both runners stranded. 

By the end of the game, Texas had seven total hits and no runs. Oklahoma State only had two more hits than Texas. 

After the loss, Texas dropped their record to 8—2, tying Oklahoma State for second in the Big 12.

Although starting on the wrong foot with a loss in the series opener, the Longhorns have an opportunity to move ahead of Oklahoma State in Big 12 rankings with two more games this weekend.