Tried and true freshman: meet the 2023 Texas softball recruiting class

Skyler Sharp
Freshman infielder Victoria Hunter high-fives head coach Mike White as she runs past third base after hitting a home run on Feb. 21, 2024 against Houston Christian University. Hunter’s home run allowed her fellow freshman Kayden Henry to score a point for the Longhorns.

Talent lies in every class and position of No. 2 Texas softball, making it a force to be reckoned with this season. 

The freshman class has so far proven itself to be indispensable as the No. 4 recruiting class in the nation and has wasted no time making its mark on college softball. 

“We’ve done a great job of going coast to coast, trying to sign the best athletes we can,” head coach Mike White said. “Coach (Steve) Singleton has done a great job of identifying high-quality talents. We’ve also had some great camps here in Austin. The exposure of how well all of our programs here at Texas are doing really helps us as well.”

Kayden Henry

Henry is the No. 3 overall recruit in Perfect Game’s Top 50 Class of 2023 rankings and has wasted no time getting started on the 40 Acres. She led Texas in batting average, runs scored, hits, home runs, runs batted in, total bases, slugging percentage, on base percentage and stolen bases in last weekend’s tournament.  

Henry went three-for-three against Tennessee. Later that night against Stanford, Henry achieved her first career multi-home run game with a three-run home run to give Texas an 8-2 lead and a solo home run in the fifth inning. 

After her high percentage hitting in the two-win weekend, Henry was named the Big 12 Conference Player of the Week and the Louisville Slugger/NFCA DI Player of the Week. 

Teagan Kavan

Freshman right-hand pitcher Teagan Kavan started out the season strong, taking the mound for her first start in the team’s second game of the season. The stakes were high: Texas was playing a top 10 opponent in UCLA, while the game was broadcasted on ESPN. 

Kavan shined, holding the Bruins without a run until the sixth inning. 

She is already setting career highs, throwing nine strikeouts in just four innings against Stanford. 

Katie Stewart

Coming from Illinois, catcher Katie Stewart made her way down the Mississippi River to Texas as the No. 40 recruit in Perfect Game’s Top 50 Class of 2023 rankings. 

Catching pitches from Kavan, Stewart’s proficiency behind the plate showed. She marked down 13 outs over the span of seven innings, making up half of her career collegiate outs so far. 

Stewart also shined when she stepped up to the plate, hitting home runs against both Stanford and San Diego, showing off her batting prowess. 

Most recently, she went three-for-three against Houston Christian, recording two runs. 

Victoria Hunter

An infielder from Houston, Hunter has proven to be a solid hitter. So far this season, Hunter has scored five runs in seven total at bats, putting up a 0.714 batting average. 

Hunter has also already hit two home runs, one against UCLA and the other against Houston Christian. 

She ranked in a tie for No. 12 overall according to Extra Inning Softball’s 2023 Extra Elite 100, Hunter also has helped out in the field, getting two outs in the game against the Bruins. 

Adayah Wallace

In the first home game of the season against Houston Christian, outfielder Wallace recorded her first career collegiate plate appearance. 

Before coming to Texas, Wallace was listed at No. 99 overall in the most recent release of the Extra Inning Softball 2023 Extra Elite 100 player rankings.

Ryan Brown

Traveling west from Thompson’s Station, Tenn., Brown was rated No. 21 in the Perfect Game Top 50 Class of 2023 recruit rankings and tied No. 51 overall according to Extra Inning Softball’s Extra Elite 100. 

Brown has only recorded two at-bats this season, one time for each night Texas played San Diego, and has one walk against Houston Christian.