University Co-op celebrates Easter with egg hunt

The University’s main Co-op held its second annual Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, hiding 1,000 prize-filled eggs throughout the store for college students and families to find and use to get 10 to 20 percent discounts on Longhorn apparel.

The event drew many people from the Austin area, and also featured a petting zoo, face painting, coloring and guessing games in the rear parking lot. Brian Jewell, vice president of marketing, said he was excited the Co-op could reach out to the community.

“We wanted to give families an opportunity to have some fun at the store,” Jewell said. “I think on a Saturday before Easter … this is a fun way to celebrate it with games and activities that kind of draw people in.”

Jewell said all of the activities were popular, but one drew more participants than the others.

“We had lines for both [the games and the petting zoo],” Jewell said. “[But] face painting was probably the most [liked].”

The face painter was able to do about 13 different faces, and the bunny-rabbit design was the most popular.

Jewell also said the many kids at the event especially enjoyed finding the eggs hidden on the first, second and third floors. 

“The store was packed,” Jewell said.

He said he hoped the Co-op would be able to continue the Easter Egg Hunt as an annual event.

“It’s reaching out to the Austin and Central Texas community to let them know that there’s activities that we can do throughout the year,” Jewell said. “As much as anything, it’s giving back to the community and letting them know that they can have some fun times at the Co-op.”