After recovery, Gilbert’s best bet might be to transfer

Garrett Gilbert, if you didn’t know, has had shoulder surgery before.

In February of 2008, right after his junior season at Lake Travis High School, Gilbert underwent a procedure to repair a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder.

He rehabbed the shoulder, led the Cavaliers to a 16-0 record and a state championship and was named the Gatorade National Player of the Year. Not bad.

So the odds are good that Gilbert can make a recovery and go back to being his old self — whoever that may be.

The hard truth, though, is that his old self will probably not be at Texas.

Gilbert would be wise to seek a fresh start at another school, one where he has the chance to start and the chance to play under a system more complimentary of his skills, with a fan base less demanding.

He can transfer, sit out a year and then, if he is granted a medical hardship, would have enough time left — two years — to make something out of his career.

Coaches have said for the past two weeks that Garrett had taken his demotion well and was still involved in meetings and practices.

“I thought Garrett was unbelievable on the sideline [against BYU],” said head coach Mack Brown. “He was the biggest cheerleader.”

There was some thought that Gilbert could work his way back up the depth chart, should Case McCoy or David Ash struggle.

Considering what we saw from McAsh’s performance against UCLA, that wouldn’t have worked out. Gilbert’s time in Austin already looked like it might be over — or, at least his time as a starting quarterback — but this makes it official.