Case McCoy will start over David Ash against Kansas State

FILE_2012_10_27_Football_vs_Kansas_Lawrence_Peart370
Lawrence Peart

Mack Brown named Case McCoy Texas’ starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against the No. 6  Wildcats. 

A full year since his last start, Case McCoy is once again atop the depth chart.

On Monday, head coach Mack Brown announced that McCoy will start this weekend’s game at Kansas State after David Ash sustained a rib injury in last week’s loss to TCU. Ash is listed as questionable this week. This will be the first time this season someone other than Ash has started under center, but this is the sixth time in the last 24 games the Longhorns have switched starting quarterbacks. 

The last time McCoy started a game was in last year’s regular season finale against Baylor, a game in which he threw three touchdowns, four interceptions and lost two fumbles.

“This is a great opportunity for him [McCoy] to do what he did at Kansas, drive us down for two touchdowns and score late to win the game, instead of his last experience at Baylor,” Brown said.

Brown was unclear when asked about Ash’s future as the starter at Texas, and refused to commit on Ash’s long-term standing at quarterback.

“I see David being a good player in the future,” Brown said for the second time when asked if Ash was his starter in the future.

Co-offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin went on to echo Brown’s statement when asked if Ash would be the starter this week if he were healthy.

“This week would be a week when both the guys would’ve had an opportunity to compete as the week went on, with the way the game [the loss to TCU] went,” Harsin said.

McCoy has been effective in relief of Ash this season, throwing a pair of touchdowns in garbage time against Oklahoma, leading a game-winning comeback versus Kansas and engineering a late-game push in the final minutes of the TCU game.

In seven appearances this season, McCoy has thrown for 408 yards, four touchdowns, one interception and has a 66.7 completion percentage. Over 60 percent of the offensive drives he’s started have resulted in points. 

“The best thing about Case is that he hasn’t been the starter, but he hasn’t been sitting at home or doing something other than playing football,” offensive guard Mason Walters said. “He’s been keyed in the whole time. I’ve got confidence in him being able to come in and run the game plan and not have any drop off of that confidence.”

McCoy brings a slightly different element to the Longhorns’ attack with his scrambling ability, but Harsin was clear the offensive scheme won’t change with McCoy under center. Brown added that he wouldn’t alter the offense to accommodate McCoy’s arm strength.

“No concern about his arm strength,” Brown said. “It’s good enough to win.”

McCoy started five games last season and went 3-2. However, he lost the starting role for good after Texas’ 24-point loss to Baylor. Ash has started every game since, beginning with the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl last December.

Printed on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 as: McCoy in, Ash out for Kansas State game