Two distinguished UT alumni to be inducted into Texas Film Hall of Fame

While the Oscars took place last Sunday night, the awards season is still not over — at least not for Texas. 

The Austin Film Society, a non-profit film organization, will host its 14th annual Texas Film Awards on March 7 by inducting four honorees and one film into the Texas Film Hall of Fame.

Sponsored by the Austin Chronicle, South by Southwest and Texas Monthly, the Texas Film Awards will celebrate this year’s most distinguished actors, filmmakers and artists. In addition to hosting the awards at the Austin Studios on East 51st Street, AFS will hold an official Texas-themed after-party at the same location, showcasing local music and food.

Rebecca Campbell, executive director of AFS, said the society will honor many Texans and Texas-related films.

“[The awards] are a way to raise awareness of Texas’ contribution to the film industry, culture and history and to support the next generation of film artists,” Campbell said.

Two of the four honorees — Austinite Amber Heard, known for her film role in “Friday Night Lights,” and Louis Black, co-founder of the Austin Chronicle — are former UT students. AFS also selected country singer and actor Mac Davis and David Gordon Green, director of “Pineapple Express,” as honorees at this year’s event. The film “From Dusk till Dawn,” directed by Robert Rodriguez, was chosen as the only film to be added to the Texas Film Hall of Fame this year. 

“For each year’s class of honorees, we generally mix it up between actors, directors, writers and other behind-the-camera creatives,” Campbell said. “It’s an eclectic group that bears talent, accomplishment and Texas in common.”

While tickets to attend the film awards are sold out, tickets to the after-party are still available online for $50. All proceeds benefit the AFS programs and services that empower the future generation of Texas film through the AFS grant. According to Campbell, $100,000 is given to emerging artists each year. 

“We’ve given $1.35 million in cash over the years,” Campbell said.