Beer and wine will be sold at football games beginning September

Beginning September 12, beer and wine will be sold at football games at Darrell K Royal Texas-Memorial Stadium in all public and private areas.

“Fan safety and enjoyment remains our number one priority as we work through the process of expanding beer and wine sales into all seating areas of the stadium,” said Texas Men’s Athletics Director Steve Patterson. “During our extensive pilot, we found fans and staff handled the situation responsibly and we had no negative issues or situations. We will continue to monitor the service closely.”

The parties involved — Texas Athletics, UT Police, Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission and licensed vendor Sodexo Sports and Leisure — determined that alcoholic beverages should include all football public areas after results of selling alcohol at other athletic events showed a positive outcome in terms of safety, community impact and fan experience.

“We are expanding what we already do, in an effort to be more inclusive of all fans,” Patterson said. Texas Athletics and Sodexo have vended these beverages in football private suites and club areas for several years without incident.”

Texas and vendors will continue to monitor the consumption of alcohol by minors as it has long participated in the “21 means 21” campaign.

UT-Austin is the fourth school in the University of Texas System to serve alcoholic beverages at sporting event; The University of Texas at El Paso, The University of Texas at San Antonio and The University of Texas at Arlington are the other three.