Fischer loses House District 49 race to Hinojosa Tuesday night

2016-03_02_Huey_Watch_Party_Gabriel
Gabriel Lopez

Huey Rey Fischer, a self-identified progressive Democrat and candidate for state representative, lost the House District 49 race to Gina Hinojosa on Tuesday night.

Fischer, a UT alumnus who promoted stronger public schools, social equality and economic justice during his campaign, received 15 percent of the votes, while Hinojosa received 55 percent. His supporters gathered for a watch party at Dirty Martin’s on Guadalupe Street.

Prior to Fischer’s arrival, supporters of various ages discussed their political opinions and watched Super Tuesday coverage.

Andrew Houston, UT alumnus and associate at Code Studio, said he attended the watch party because he supports Fischer’s proactive approach to issues such as LGBTQ rights.

“I believe that Huey is the beginning of a new trend,” Houston said. “He is someone who’s not going to simply stand idly by and let the more conservative side do whatever they want.”

Many supporters said they believed the results of the race would lead to a runoff between Hinojosa and Fischer.

Jason Taper, member of University Democrats and government freshman, said he believed a runoff was possible and would be beneficial for students prior to the final result announcement.

“He’s just so dedicated to getting students involved and pushing student issues that it’s entirely possible that there’s a huge margin for him at the FAC,” Taper said. “We’re just kind of hoping that it goes into a runoff so that students at UT can have a voice in the Democratic Party and in the Texas State House.”

In order for the election to result in a runoff, Hinojosa would have had to receive less than 50 percent of the vote.

Fischer arrived at the party a few minutes before the election results were announced. He said while he is disappointed in the results, he is proud of his and his supporters’ accomplishments.

“We mobilized students, we got them out to the polls, we got them excited about an election that was local and we let them know that young people do have a place in politics,” Fischer said.

At 23 years old, Fischer was the youngest candidate to run for this position.

Doug Snyder, campus director for Fischer’s campaign and government and finance freshman, said he believes Fischer’s interactions with students on campus benefited him as a candidate in the race.

“His network is so clearly evident of what he’s been able to do,” Snyder said. “Despite the results, we’re still feeling like we did something worthwhile.”