Youth for Johnson/Weld provides avenue to seek government values

Editor's note: This piece is a part of the Daily Texan Forum featuring the campus political organizations involved in Student Government's political debate, moderated by The Daily Texan. The debate will be held on Sept. 28 from 6-8 pm in FAC 21.

We are currently in the midst of a presidential race that has produced two of the most distrustful presidential nominees in the history of the United States. It is now that we feel most vulnerable with our two-party system. Youth for Johnson/Weld is the student wing of former Gov. Gary Johnson’s 2016 presidential campaign. YJW works to promote the ideas of liberty on college campuses and high schools throughout the country. We want to educate people that they have more than two choices on Nov. 8. We believe that most millennials are libertarian by nature, fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but may not be aware that their views are supported by a party on the ticket. At UT, YJW is working on recruiting, educating and mobilizing millennials to vote for the Johnson/Weld ticket. The UT chapter is looking to spread their message across campus until Election Day 2016. In order to get involved, students can join UT Youth for Johnson/Weld on Facebook to find out how they can take part in promoting our message. This upcoming Saturday, Governor Johnson will be holding a campaign rally at the Palm Door on Sixth from 4:00 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. We encourage everyone to come early, stay late and hear firsthand from the only common sense candidate in the race. We understand the historical significance of this race and we intend on making an impact that will last well beyond Election Day.

Qadri is the state director of Youth for Johnson/Weld. He is a 2013 UT graduate with a B.A. in sociology.