Bridge language barriers

David Perez Barbosa

This year, after surpassing a 25% Hispanic enrollment rate, UT qualified to receive the title of a “Hispanic-serving” institution. 

However, despite qualifying for this title, UT still has major strides to make before adequately accommodating its Hispanic student population. 

Many first-generation Hispanic students at UT have parents that are not fluent enough in English to understand what is being asked of their children. Without proper communication from the school, they are often left to their own devices to understand UT communications. 

In contrast, English-speaking parents can easily get information from the school and have the luxury of contacting the appropriate people to ask questions. 

UT needs to address the issues Spanish-speaking parents of students face due to language barriers. The lack of accommodation for these language issues calls into question the validity of the title “Hispanic-serving.”

While UT has certain programs in place for Spanish-speaking parents, it is not enough. 

“Virtual Spanish language prospective student information sessions are currently offered through the Admissions Welcome Center, and Spanish language guided virtual tours will be offered this semester as well (registration will open shortly),” UT spokesperson J.B. Bird said in an email. 

However, students continue to face language issues despite this virtual tour. Psychology sophomore Ana Sofia Ross said she signed her parents up for the Spanish tour of campus last year — and it didn’t go well.  

“I had to go to my orientation, the OAs didn't know if anyone was going to translate and I just left my parents on their own,” Ross said. “It made me feel really upset. They act like they’re inclusive, but it just doesn't happen.”

Speaking from my own experience as a first-generation Hispanic student, there were times where my parents had a question and wanted to be more involved in what I was doing, especially after  COVID-19 made everything uncertain. Luckily, a lifetime of translating legal documents for them made it somewhat easier to explain the concepts they didn’t understand. 

However, since they’re properly accommodated by the University, students with English-speaking parents don't normally have to go through this extra step.

While the University claims to be inclusive by providing tours in Spanish, Ross’ story is just one of many examples that proves UT still needs to work on their bilingual programs and do more to bridge the language barrier. 

A dedicated hotline for Spanish speakers, or at least more Spanish translations on UT’s website and announcements, would be a welcomed addition for parents who want to be more involved despite language differences.

UT should follow the example of other Texas schools as a foundation. 

On its website, the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley has a family involvement section that includes meetings each semester which provide information on a multitude of questions in Spanish. Although UT-Austin has less Spanish-speaking students than UT-RGV, our University is still responsible for properly accommodating its students.

There is no doubt UT has provided plenty of opportunities for Hispanic students, but moving forward, UT must ensure it has all of the proper support systems in place. Only then will it truly deserve the title “Hispanic-serving.”

Vidales is an English freshman from Houston, Texas.