CMHC offers online scheduling for brief assessments

CMHC_Emma-George
Emma George

The Counseling and Mental Health Center began offering online scheduling for brief assessment appointments for the first time Feb. 10. 

A brief assessment appointment is a 15-20 minute phone call where students can discuss mental health needs and possible treatment options with a counselor. Prior to Feb 10., students could only schedule brief assessments over the phone. Students can now make an appointment through their MyCMHC web portal on the CMHC website

Marla Craig, senior associate director for clinical services at CMHC, said CMHC has discussed the introduction of online scheduling for brief assessment appointments for years. She said one of the main motivations behind implementing online scheduling was students’ requests.

“Sometimes we can implement ideas right away,” Craig said. “Other times, it takes longer because it impacts other services or it impacts delivery. … We’ve been trying to figure out how we would do that, because technologically, it’s just been a lot more challenging for us to figure out how to do that.”

Katy Redd, associate director for prevention, development and media relations at CMHC, said online scheduling makes the brief assessment appointment process easier for students.  

“Basically, (online scheduling) introduces another level of convenience and flexibility into our clinical system for students,” Redd said. “We’re not taking anything away. Students can still call, they can still — in non-COVID times — walk into the counseling center and get their needs met right away.” 

Psychology junior Nimisha Jain said she thinks online scheduling reduces the anxiety some students experience when scheduling a brief assessment appointment over the phone. 

“I think the assessment policy is really effective, and I think it can really help people who might be too nervous to call in because they’re feeling anxious,” Jain said. “I know a lot of the times I’ve had to use (phone scheduling) with my friends and make the call for them.” 

Redd said CMHC recognizes the pandemic has heightened mental health struggles for many students, due to financial concerns, school, housing and socialization. 

Craig said CMHC aims to use online scheduling to support students regardless of their circumstances. 

“I just want us to be there as a support for our students and to be as accessible as possible,” Craig said. “And to be able to use whatever technological means we can to make sure that we are available to them.” 

Editor's Note: This story first appeared in The Daily Texan's March 2 print edition.