Hiking is for everyone — just take the first step

Avery Thorpe

Layers of orange sediment piling on top of each other contrasted splendidly, forming a spire jutting into the overcast sky above me. In the Texas Panhandle, Palo Duro Canyon State Park invites visitors from across the state and country to explore the nation’s second-largest canyon, and I was doing just that.

Looking out across the landscape, I stared in awe. The steep walls of the canyon’s boundaries dropped sharply from rim to entrenchment — a stark contrast to my home in Houston or Austin’s hill country. Amidst academic deadlines and commitments, I often have a tendency to hyperfocus and feel like my problems and emotions are all-consuming. But when I stare out at environments as beautiful and unique as Palo Duro, I find myself gaining a perspective that astounds me.

Hiking started off as a hobby with no regularity. Recently, I’ve made a more active effort to get outdoors and hike in state or local parks, in my neighborhood or on campus. Between the stress relief and exercise benefits, the results have been staggering. Longhorns should consider incorporating hiking into their schedules during the academic semester.

One of the main benefits of hiking is its flexibility. Regardless of one’s schedule, they can participate as often or as little as they want. Whether it’s an overnight backpacking trip in a state park or a two-hour stroll around the capitol, ‘hiking’ doesn’t necessarily need to be a strenuous all-day trip. Hiking is what you make of it, and any time spent outdoors can provide a relief from fluorescent lighting and glowing computer screens.

In addition to the low commitment, hiking can be a fantastic way to make friends and build bonds. Biology and Plan II sophomore Ellie Bartlett has been hiking for years and now runs the Plan II hiking club. She explained the combination of exercise, social interaction and beautiful environments provide the perfect mix.

“It’s a really good way for people to connect with each other, especially across grades,” Bartlett said. “If you’re walking and you’re exercising out in nature, you have topics to talk about as you’re seeing new things, and I think that really helps bridge connections between people.”

For most of my life, the word hiking brought up images of national parks and far-off destinations. It seemed inaccessible and expensive, but my horizons broadened when I moved to Austin for college. The city is a fantastic location for established or aspiring hikers, and with local gems like Pease Park and The Barton Creek Greenbelt, there are many opportunities to try it out at little or no cost. For UT students who take advantage of CapMetro transportation, the experience can be completely free.

Hiking is inexpensive, as no added equipment is required when starting out, and the amount of time spent can be as little or as extensive as you want. As long as you choose a trail that matches your skill and comfort level, anyone can get started. 

Like any hobby, the degree to which you invest yourself can vary, but Austin is the perfect place to try hiking while exploring the city further. So, grab a bottle of water and a comfortable pair of shoes — the trailhead is waiting.

Doud is a journalism and government freshman from Conroe, Texas.