The science of it all

Anuja Manjrekar

Taking science courses can garner many benefits for non-science majors, especially as the job market continually evolves in the digital age. Science courses can include various specializations, from computer and data science to psychology. Pursuing a scientific discipline beyond the bare minimum requirement is a great way to expand one’s expertise in one’s current field. 

“I’m considering the elements of computing certificate (because) it gives you a toolkit to innovate,” business sophomore Chloe Beaudreau said.“If you have the certificate, then you can have the computer science background that you need to make a startup or understand what other engineers are explaining to you.” 

Science-based courses can strengthen skills related to observation, critical analysis and evidence-based reasoning. These skills can apply to the many spheres of work that you might pursue. 

The scientific method is a structural approach utilized in many science courses and is a way of thinking that can even be useful in the daily life of non-scientists. The method typically consists of formulating a goal, building a model, collecting data, evaluating the data and revising. Taking a science course can help you become more familiar with the method, and, eventually, you can use the strategic method in many aspects of your life, like cooking, market research or legal investigations.

“Part of (international relations) includes studying about the environment, our ecosystems and, especially, the people,” said Christoper Garcia, an international relations senior who took pre-medicine coursework. “One of the greatest things I was able to learn (in biology courses) is how health issues affect people in different countries (and) how the actions we’re taking in the United States affect people across the globe. It’s very important to have this basic knowledge about how our bodies work and what the science is behind it.” 

As a non-science major, I have seen significant personal growth from taking biology and computer science courses. These classes don’t explicitly align with my pursuits and career path, but they have helped me succeed in non-science classes that require data analysis or an analysis of human behavior. Since many future jobs will likely require a background in artificial intelligence, this knowledge will help me stay ahead of the curve and not fall victim to the increasingly automated job market. 

Many students also worry that certain science courses could damage their GPA and, therefore, decide against taking the course. However, taking a science class pass/fail or auditing the course, which is a low-stakes option to explore different subjects without a major or minor requirement, are both ways to take the pressure off. Ultimately, intellectual curiosity contributes to a healthy learning environment where students can take courses without judgment or extreme academic pressure. 

Students should consider taking introductory science classes with UT professors who are experts in the subjects. Possessing science knowledge not only proves beneficial when following your career path, but it also gives you a versatile toolkit to accomplish daily tasks. 

Shenoy is an economics sophomore from Houston, Texas.