Students can benefit from VR technology

Rose Park

Technological innovation is ever-changing and expanding, and virtual reality is one of the trendiest forms. VR can seem complex and daunting for anyone, including college students. However, UT students could greatly benefit from exposure to this emerging technology.

On campus, there are opportunities to create a welcoming environment where students can acquire hands-on experience. The Texas Immersive Institute (TXI) aims to create an environment where VR is interesting and enticing rather than intimidating. Humanizing technology is the first step in using it for active, positive change. Exposure to VR and immersive technology allows for growth in new skills to approach any career path.

“Part of the goal of Texas Immersive is that we open our doors to any student at UT, no matter their major or no matter their background,” TXI program manager Azalea Laredo said. 

Regardless of career path, using more inaccessible forms of interactive technology can broaden perspectives that students otherwise would not be exposed to. VR can be used to refresh and complement students’ studies to develop specialized skill sets when competing in the job market.

Resources such as TXI also allow access to various simulations and experiences, inviting students from all majors to use these opportunities to learn new approaches to real-world situations. While most may initially think of virtual reality experiences as fun and activity-based, they also expand further into social change-oriented simulations. In February, TXI held its third annual Social Impact Build Fest, which allowed UT students to address common social issues through VR. 

“They use storytelling to create different stories to address different problems and create innovative solutions that would really help to solve a problem in social change,” Laredo said.

TXI teaching assistant AJ Hurtado described the skills gained through this form of VR exposure. When describing how students respond to various forms of learning, Hurtado explains the difference that sets some learning styles apart from others.

“Just because someone’s in accounting doesn’t mean that they learn auditorily or visually,” Hurtado said. “A lot of people have a kinesthetic (mind), where they have to learn by doing. Tactile sensations are a part of that.”

According to Hurtado, the skills gained through VR, such as simple novice coding or creating a live 3D space, can instill a sense of confidence in students. This assures students they can enter the real world with some level of tech knowledge under their belts. 

“An example is if you’re a civil engineer, you’re able to read simulations, and you can actually be on site and see how the structure you built could move or sway depending on an earthquake,” Hurtado said. 

VR, much like all forms of artificial intelligence, is not going anywhere and will only continue to advance. Encouraging students to access virtual reality in the college experience would enrich their educational experience.

Gannon is a journalism freshman from Houston, Texas.