Best Summer Songs of 2013

AP Exchange

Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines" is one of seven songs we couldn't get enough of this summer.

The summer of 2013 was a great time for pop music, especially if you’re into anthemic break-up tunes and '70s-inspired musical pleas to get it on. Here are the seven songs we couldn’t escape.

1. “Blurred Lines” – Robin Thicke ft. T.I. and Pharrell Williams

All right, let’s get this one out of the way. Who knew a funky sampled beat accompanied by a breast-laden video would take over the airwaves this summer? “Blurred Lines” was, and still is, everywhere we turn. Whether or not it’s really about feminism and respect for women (hint: it’s probably not), this song exhibits the inexplicable power to make everyone move. 

2. “Diane Young” – Vampire Weekend

On first listen, Vampire Weekend’s first single from Modern Vampires of the City is rather obnoxious. But you hear it again. And again. And again. And eventually one morning, the highs and lows of Ezra Koenig’s modulated voice sweetly rouse you from a deep slumber and you realize you can’t live without hearing “Diane Young” at least four times a day.

3. “We Can’t Stop” – Miley Cyrus

Say what you will about her bizarre MTV Video Music Awards performance, the music video for this song, or Miley Cyrus in general, but “We Can’t Stop” is a seriously infectious slow-jam. Compared to the crop of recent hits about men looking to get sexy with the ladies, Cyrus has awkwardly faux-twerked a refreshing message into hearts everywhere: “you do you” and forget about the Judgmental Judys. Except for the drug references. We could have done without the drug references. 

4. “Get Lucky” – Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers

The legendary French house music duo seemed destined to rule the summertime airwaves long before school was out. “Get Lucky” was one of the highest anticipated songs in recent music history, so it makes perfect sense that Daft Punk would hijack the charts like the weird robots that they are. Combining the disco grooves of Nile Rodgers and the simplistic lyrical message of “let’s do it” resulted in a massive hit. And is Pharrell Williams killing it lately, or what?

5. “I Love It” – Icona Pop ft. Charli XCX

Want to know what I love? This song. “I Love It” is the pulsating go-to theme song for anyone who just got dumped or who frankly doesn’t give a flying fig. Not caring about some loser has never felt better, or caused so many spontaneous dance parties. 

6. “The Wire” – Haim  

Haim is the grown-up lady equivalent to Hanson: three mega-talented siblings with uncanny melodic sensibility. “The Wire” is a sassy marriage of Fleetwood Mac-esque rocking and California chick toughness. The sisters Haim layer their sunny harmonies over bright guitar licks that make this “you’ll get over me eventually” kiss-off sound like a carefree ride with the top down. Taylor Swift, eat your heart out. 

7. “Come and Get It” – Selena Gomez

“Come and Get It” has to be the guiltiest auditory pleasure on this list. Maybe it’s the seductive Bollywood influence. Perhaps it’s the fact that there’s no lyric easier to remember than “Na na na na.” Whatever it is, admit that as soon as that over-produced beat drops, we’re all ready to come and get. Na na na na.