The Texan Talks: Student theatre and the arts on campus

2015-09-10_Forum_Portrait_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Often, when people think of UT, they think of the petroleum engineering program, the McCombs School of Business or aerospace engineering. But this week, The Daily Texan Forum will focus on student theatre and the arts. As we examine the impact of student theatre and the arts on campus, this forum will demonstrate that there are a number of artistic opportunities awaiting students outside of academia. As shown by op-eds from members of different student theatre groups on campus, a dance student and a faculty member who directs the Shakespeare at Winedale program, student theatre and the arts have a vibrant presence on campus.

It is our hope that entertaining both student and faculty perspectives will inform readers of what is available on campus for those interested in the arts, and what the academic and preparatory rigor of theatrical work entails. From an intense focus on acting methods and stage production to the merits of a more relaxed extracurricular environment, there are numerous ways to get involved in student theater and the arts on campus — and there are a number of varying experiences and outcomes by participants.  Join us to learn more about them in detail on Thursday, Sept. 17, at 11 a.m. in the Texas Union Theatre, where we will host the third iteration of The Texan Talks.

Fountain is a government senior from Pelham, New York.