White claims no memory of Monday attacks

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Biology junior Kendrex White, the student facing murder charges in the death of undergraduate studies freshman Harrison Brown, told police he did not remember Monday’s attack, according to an affidavit filed Wednesday morning.

When White was taken into custody after the on-campus attack, which left Brown dead on the scene and three other students injured, and asked by police if he knew why he was there, White said, “Yes, accusations of pushing someone down and I think using a bladed weapon.”

According to the arrest affidavit, White said it was possible he used a knife in a manner to hit someone, but that he didn’t remember. When police asked if White was hearing voices in his head, he said that his mind told him to “tell the truth and withhold any action that he did because it really didn’t happen.”  

WHen police asked White about the knife that was on his person when he was detained in Jester Center on Monday afternoon, he said he purchased it a few days ago for protection and that Monday was the first time he had carried it on his person. White had two superficial cuts on his left hand and wrist “that appeared to be fresh and from a sharp blade,” according to the affidavit. 

According to the affidavit, in his final statement during the interview, White told police “If I did something I don’t remember then I want to be told.”

Police said White had been suffering from mental health issues and had recently been involuntarily committed in Bell County, according to the Austin American-Statesman. 

The UT Police Department also arrested White April 4 for driving while intoxicated. White told police during the arrest he had taken “happy pills.” White told officers he was supposed to take one 35-milligram Zoloft pill, but that he had taken two around 4 p.m. the day before, according to a UTPD report obtained by the Statesman.

All three victims of Monday’s attack said they were struck from behind. Two of the victims received lacerations to the back of the head and the neck. 

The third victim, who has been identified as engineering student Stuart Bayliss, received a laceration to the back requiring surgery. Bayliss was released Wednesday from the hospital. 

White’s bail is set at $1 million. He will be represented by defense attorneys Jacqueline Wood and Michael Watson and is scheduled to appear May 19 in state District Judge Tamara Needles’ court, according to the Statesman.

Story has been updated.

affidavit by Akshay Mirchandani on Scribd